Moringa oliefera contains
- 25 times more iron than spinach
- 15 times more calcium than banana
- 17 times more calcium than milk
- 10 times more Vitamin A than carrots
- 4 times more protein than eggs
- 0.75 times more Vitamin C than orange
Moringa oliefera is a plant species which belongs to the family Moringaceae. It is a small plant present in South East Asia, Africa, Arabia, the Caribbean and Pacific Island and South America while being native to Sub-Himalayan regions of India. The Moringa plant has many names such as miracle plant, drumstick tree, horseradish plant. Because it contains tremendous anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, anti-oxidant properties.
Moringa oliefera is reportedly a miracle plant as it cures joint problems, as it contained 17 times more Calcium than milk. It contains essential vitamins and proteins in creditable amount. This plant is being used for many centuries and is popular among distinct cultures for its powerful treatments against skin related problems, anemia, diabetes, cholera, anxiety and depression. Many cosmetic industry uses this beneficial plant extracts in their beauty and skin care products.
The intensive research performed to identify the chemical composition of the plant reveals that it contains essential Vitamins, Amino Acids, Biotin, Carotenes, Anti-Oxidant and Anti-Inflammatory agents, Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids and mineral elements as quoted by Kasolo et al., 2010.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Moringa Oliefera:
- Moringa Oliefera contains beneficial proteins responsible for the repair of skin dead cells and fight infections. Seed oil of Moringa Oliefera protects hair from free radicals and toxic agents by providing proper hydration.
- The anti-inflammatory properties of this plant are effective against severe Edema.
- A study by Hamza (2010) claims that Moringa extracts showed high anti-fibrotic on the liver fibrosis in as research done on rats. It also stimulates hepato-protective signs against any liver injury.
- According to the research performed by Budda and his team (2011), compounds such as glucomoringin and niazimicin are highly effective against tumor growth and development.
- The presence of high content Vitamin B in Moringa Extracts play a vital role in stomach health and prevent gastritis, ulcers and constipation. The anti-microbial and antibiotic properties of this plant kill any pathogens present in an alimentary canal.
- Because of the effective anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and overall antimicrobial activity of Moringa extracts, it is beneficial against many infections caused by bacteria, fungi or other pathogens such as E. Coli, Salmonella, Rhizopus.
- Moringa contains a remarkable concentration of calcium and phosphorus; both are essential elements for strong bones. Also, it helps to heal damaged bones and prevents diseases like Arthritis.
- The antioxidant properties of Moringa extracts are beneficial for the kidney.
- Moringa extracts also help in healing of wounds and stopping infection to develop due to its antimicrobial activities.
- It also helps in regulation of mood swings for anxiety, stress or any depression.
- For people suffering from anemia, Moringa extracts are useful in iron absorption, thus increasing the RBC’s count in the blood.
- Although Moringa is popular as a ‘miracle plant’ yet it may possess certain side effects. Persons intend to be using plant extract must consult a doctor before using.
- In certain cases, it may contain anti-fertility agents, so it is not advisable for pregnant women.
Research and Supposition:
Any drug needs to get proper approval by United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for circulation in the market. Moringa doesn’t receive monitoring by FDA yet, so there might be a matter of quality and purity of the product. Therefore, one must consult the manufacturer to justify the claims of benefits and any expected side effects of the product.
Although a lot of research has already taken place and the above-stated benefits are clear, there’s a requirement for more work and research to further substantiate and justify the claims.